Monday, May 2, 2011

Thoughts on Osama's Death

It was stunning last night to hear the news of Osama Bin Laden's death. Frankly, it had been so long that I assumed he would never be captured, in part because it was very possible that he was already dead. My first thought was "Wow, I'd really hate to be Pakistan right about now" because now there is proof that the government wasn't doing near enough to make terrorists within its borders feel uncomfortable. India is in the driver's seat as far as relations between the two countries go with Pakistan now having zero credibility. This could be a very bad situation, one that India might conceivably use to justify a nuclear attack if any further terrorist actions originating in Pakistan were forthcoming.


Today I am torn about how I feel. The pacifist part of me feels that it is never appropriate to celebrate someone's death no matter how evil they are (and certainly I am not celebrating Osama's death, but I don't really feel sad about it, either), but in reading more about the operation to find/attack Osama, and especially reading about how the crowd spontaneously started chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A!" at the Mets game last night, I find myself getting choked up and feeling a little "America! Fuck Yeah!" action going on. It is an unexpected split.

No comments: