Sunday, May 22, 2011

Saturday Night Live

Last night's episode of Saturday Night Live was just about perfect, as the season finale should be. The opening sketch about Europe's financial problems was well-done, highbrow and hilarious at the same time, and the show went from there. Generally this season I have disliked the opening monologue songs that have become an almost weekly occurrence, but Justin Timberlake's about how he wouldn't sing during the episode was spot-on.


I also enjoyed Lady Gaga's acting cameos, especially during the What's That Name? sketch. Every time I see her perform I am more impressed. The twist of having her actually know people's names was a refreshing revision to the sketch's usual pattern. She was good in the digital short, too (which was better than "Mother Lover," but not as good as "Dick in the Box"). Her performance in it was subtle, but it pulled the sketch together.


And, of course, I was thrilled by the Barry Gibb Talk Show sketch. I am inordinately fond of Jimmy Fallon. The theme song always makes me giggle.


The only way the episode could have been better was if Amy Poehler had made an appearance for "Really?!? With Seth and Amy." Seth Meyers did a nice job with it by himself, but it just wasn't the same. It's the season finale, have more guest stars!

No comments: