Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday Night Live

A good-but-not-great episode of Saturday Night Live last night. Host Tina Fey did well in her sketches, but was underutilized, I suppose because of her pregnancy. My favorite sketch was the Little Mermaid parody where Bin Laden's body falls into "Ariel's" underwater community. Fred Armisen as the skeptical "manta drinking Fanta" was hilarious! The other excellent sketch was the hippie birthing video with Fey and Maya Rudolph. Very well done, and it made me happy that Rudolph was wearing a huge merkin. Fey's turn as Sarah Palin at the "undeclared Republican presidential candidate debate" was pretty good, but Bill Hader stole the sketch.


I was a little disappointed that Fey didn't have any role in Weekend Update. Weekend Update was disappointing overall, as Hader's Stefon sketch (who is now one of my favorite characters) didn't build enough before its climax to be satisfying. His inevitable crack-up, which is now an expected part of the sketch, came too early.


One last word on the musical guest, Ellie Golding (? Most of the time I've never heard of the musical guest before their SNL appearance because I don't listen to the radio). Her second song was a decent cover of Elton John's "Your Song." However, YOU ARE ON SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE! WHY ARE YOU NOT SINGING YOUR OWN SONGS??? It makes no sense.

No comments: