Monday, March 3, 2008

Creating a digital self

Well, I finally broke down and joined facebook last night. I feel very ambivalent about this - on the one hand, I want to cling to my love of all things analog (especially books, which it is obvious that no one under the age of 25 reads anymore if my students are any indication, they wouldn't recognize a book if I smacked them in the head with it), but on the other hand, I realize I should probably get further education in the digital realm if I want to be marketable - C.R.E.A.M. So I went ahead and joined. (This blog is also a part of this new digitizing campaign.)

So far it is really cool to see the kind of connections I've been able to make - I could very easily get addicted, it has been a huge time-suck already. But I'm also feeling cyber-shy now, like these connections are too much intimacy with too many people all at once, even though because it's electronic intimacy it's not really intimacy at all. Lo, I am like a sheep without a shepherd in the world of facebook. Whither shall I go?

No comments: