Sunday, February 24, 2008

Saturday Night Live's return

Saturday Night Live's first new episode after the writer's strike last night was decent, a low B. The opening sketch about journalists fawning over Obama was hilarious, though Fred Armisen's Obama impersonation needs some serious work - he seemed to have so much trouble merely speaking in a deeper voice that he had no energy left to make this deeper voice sound like Obama's. The opening monologue with a cameo by Steve Martin was also good, though I am biased here because I am a total sucker for Steve Martin cameos. Once he comes on camera my ability to think critically vanishes quicker than Hillary Clinton's chances for the Democratic nomination. (thank you! I'll be here all week.)

Speaking of Hillary, "Weekend Update" was mind-blowing, and not in a good way. Tina Fey's pro-Hillary rant was funny, but politically irresponsible. I understand that it would be great to have a female president, and I felt guilty voting against Hillary in the Illinois primary for this reason, but Obama has a much better chance of beating McCain in the general election, and it is absolutely necessary for the US's welfare that a Republican not be elected. Not to mention that Obama is the most exciting US politician since Bobby Kennedy. (Stepping off of my soapbox)

Mike Huckabee's cameo, though again somewhat funny, was extremely confusing to me - politicians go on SNL to try to convince people that they are cool (e.g., Obama's appearance this past fall, or Al Gore's appearances in the past few years), and the time for this convincing re: Huckabee has long since passed. Also, I'm sure the number of people who watch SNL and would be interested in voting for Huckabee is around three. Was he intending it as a sort of concession speech? I don't know. Anyway, the baffling nature of his appearance overwhelmed whatever humor it contained.

The rest of the show was so-so, the only skit that really stood out to me was Jason Sudeikis's drunken best man speech. Simple and well done. Samberg and Hader's digital short was a respectable try, but not as good as the shorts usually are.

No comments: